This is Folklore, an adventure board game like you’ve never seen before with over 5 years of development. Play one of 6 characters in a 1-5 player game that requires no game master. It is set in our own past, where characters acquire Lore as they face and defeat the malign and supernatural forces known as Afflictions. Explore the countryside amidst winding mountain passes and overgrown trails…down the halls of opulent manors and ancient castles and through dark and deep places, you are on a quest to uncover the Lore which binds the evils to our world and lets them pass unchallenged. You play one whose destiny is linked to hunting down those things which brought terror to our people, those things which led them to change their culture, spread salt on their doorsteps and hang garlic in their windowsills. Folklore: the Affliction is a highly immersive board game of epic scale and expandability. Multi-layer Character development and player interaction spearheads this collaborative ongoing adventure in a quest to drive the darkness back into the hell from which it came.
Travel the countryside of the old world. Move from towns and farms to objective locations in your hunt for Lore and your quest for liberation of the people from the plagues that haunt them. Gather up your Lore to acquire abilities and to power artifacts long forgotten. Travel to places in search of clues and combat your enemies in a struggle for the safety of man. Move into adventure locations and use your miniature to traverse the boards to explore, uncover mystery and stake a sleeping vampire in its coffin!
Intense story telling and combat action that pits you against your most frightening foes with strategy building both on and off the battlefield , resource management, power consumption and item creation that makes Folklore: the Affliction an experience you wont forget. You’ve never seen it like this…you’ve never played it like this—with top notch story design, attention to detail, art that brings you into the adventure and into your character. We haven’t spared any expense over the past 5 years on design and playtesting to bring you the game we always wanted to play. This is a game made by lifelong gamers who love the best of RPGs and adventure board games as well as strategy and player interaction. Continue to visit our website as the Kickstarter funds for source material and even more downloadable content as well as updates and a place to post your home-grown adventures, items and creatures for others to play with. We encourage fan creativity and would love to see your imaginations build the world of Folklore. Look for a contest to help us build our world with your ideas.
Each character has their own skills and sets of unique abilities to acquire and master in their rise towards dominance in the war against evil. Each has a distinctive depth and feel with nearly 100 abilities and endless re-playability. Folklore is as much about character development, storyline and immersion as it is exploration and combat. Engage in making your character more alive than any other board game as your choices guide your destiny and the path of your companions.
Each Affliction is known by name and is a paragon of power and a threat to the countryside. Every adventure focuses around the blight caused by types of Afflictions whether they be Mortal, Shapeshifter, Undead, Spirit, Occultist, Demonic or Nature foes. Many creatures plague the people and the land, those whose strengths are unique among them are called Afflictions.
One of things that makes Folklore: The Affliction unique is the storytelling element that weaves the game together. Decisions made by the players change the story and fork the destiny of the outcomes in each adventure. This Intense story telling and combat action pits you against your most frightening foes with strategy building both on and off the battlefield, resource management, power consumption and item creation. Will you accept this quest to purge evil from this land?
- Cooperative play for 1-5 players: Adventure through a dark fantasy/horror role playing environment that will require working together to use the best group strategy for defeating the Afflictions and earning the best gear. The adventure intensity scales to match the number of players in your session. Protect yourself and your friends. Beware the powers of darkness which can make your friends become infected with lycanthropy or vampirism or become possessed.
- Immersive RPG style feel without a GM: With all the great games that have come before, immersive play often requires a Game Master, but in Folklore the Affliction, all the players cooperate as characters in the story! Everyone gets to play. The Narrative and intuitive creature AI challenges the players to use their gear and ingenuity to succeed or fail and ultimately steer the path of the adventure.
- Tactical miniature combat: During exploration, your characters will be challenged by their environment and engage in dangerous miniatures-based combat as well as non-miniatures based skirmishes. Characters battle in intuitive strategic combats and locales that require interaction even during combat. Who will hold off the Wraith in combat while another character races to the sarcophagus to close the lid? Will you choose to pull a lever while battling an undead horde in order to trap the rest of their forces behind a portcullis?
- Character development: Choose your character’s focus and profession, gear them up for adventure and combat, and customize then the way you choose by assigning advancement points and purchasing abilities and items.
- Immersive storylines: Each game session is like playing through a dark fantasy/horror novel or movie. The narrative immerses the players as they make game-changing choices and interactions that can alter the course of the storyline and determine the outcome and the path toward victory.
- Campaign style play: Completing a story is not the end. Advance your characters, gain weapons, artifacts, companions, and abilities and bring them into the next story with all their gear. Customize each character your way as they advance by spending points in the skills and abilities you choose.
- Death is only the beginning: If you have a fatality, you are not out of the game, you instead play on as your ghost with ethereal ghostly powers to rise up against evil from beyond the veil.
- Find companions: Gain or hire the townsfolk and the animals in this hell-oppressed place and lead them into the darkness as you face the evils that threaten to devour you all.
Be The First To Review This Product!
Help other Looking For Gamers Retail users shop smarter by writing reviews for products you have purchased.